Saturday, July 2, 2016

My first trip to Paris



We took the train into the Latin Quarter (left bank of the Seine) and then walked to the Ils de la Cite to visit Notre Dame cathedral, which was begun in 1163 in the Reign of Louis VII. I had my picture taken there with Great (great, great, great…?) Grandpa Charlemagne; well, at least a statue of him and his horse. My dad was always so proud to be a descendant of Charlemagne so that picture was for my dad. 


Grandpa Charlemagne and me
We then went to the Sainte-Chapelle, which housed relics from the crusades including the Crown of Thorns purchased by St. Louis. The Crown itself cost more than the cost of building the chapel to house it and other relics brought to Paris. We then walked (finding ourselves in the midst of a huge LGBT Pride Day parade!) by the Louvre and through the Tuileries Gardens to the Place de la Concorde (the largest square in Paris) where we took the metro up to Montmartre and climbed hundreds of steps to reach Sacred Heart church and the artists’ square. There I got my first official bowl of my much anticipated French Onion Soup. Delicious! The day was filled with wondrous sights, sounds, history and tastes (and sore muscles). 
Doug feeding the pigeons at Notre Dame

I should mention that the highlight of Doug’s day in Paris was being stopped by a French couple who asked HIM for directions, which he administered with complete fluency, confidence and accuracy—he definitely fits in here as a Frenchman. People are constantly telling me how impeccable his French is and, after speaking with him, the French themselves are often amazed that he was not born and raised in France. As for me and my French, I’m getting really good at standing by him and looking engaged while proudly nodding and smiling, quite often at the appropriate times.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastique! Paris is a marvelous city and so fun to walk through. That steep hill that leads to Monmartre (275 steps!) is a killer!

    ReplyDelete